I have a girl who cuts my hair, another one who colors it; I particularly like that one guy who shampoos it when the girl who cuts my hair is busy. I go to a nail salon to get my nails done and my eye brows waxed. Finally, I leave facials and massages up to gift certificates I receive or Groupon deals.
Not only do I have three different people who handle my hair during my typical salon visit, but also end up driving several places to receive other beauty services. I don't know why I do this... All of these services are typically offered at the same place I get my hair done and (after I factor in the time and money I use to get to other salon) no more expensive.
So before you go in search of recommendations for great nail salons and scour your inbox for old internet specials that might still be valid, start with researching your own salon first to see what other services they provide besides hair, and what specials they are running.
Here is a breakdown of the different beauty services a great salon provides.
1. Nail Care - Full service salon and day spas are likely to give you a more personalized experience, and/or squeeze you in while you’re waiting for your color to set. Also, the best salons will provide a little extra pampering during a mani/pedi appointment, such as complimentary shoulder massages or a glass of champagne.
2. Waxing…. And Make-Up! - Don’t get me wrong, I am usually happy with getting my brows done at a nail salon. But I have noticed that when I have my brows done at my hair salon, more time and attention to detail is spent on the waxing. You can also consult with an esthetician on the best brow shape for your face. The same applies for having make-up done at your salon; you will be educated on what colors are best for your skin tone, and also how to properly apply it.
3. Lash Extensions - Inspired by hair extensions, salons are staying on top of technology by offering synthetic, and semi-permanent, eye lash extensions. By bonding a synthetic lash to a natural one, lash extensions will give you fuller, longer, sexier lashes. And you won’t have to worry about applying mascara while you have them!
4. Facials and Spa Body Treatments - In addition to offering a large selection of facial treatments, many salons will also offer full body skin treatments. Next time you visit your salon for a cut and color, inquire about what kind of body wraps and masques they are offering in order to assure you’re skin is ready for the season.
5. Massage Therapy - Like the facial and body treatments, quality salons will offer a comprehensive selection of massage options, ranging from a relaxing Swedish massage to pre-natal, to appeal to their entire client base. Also, a lot of times salons will pair body massages with ten-minute facials or head massages. That's a definite bonus to your therapeutic salon experience!
And last but not least, because all of these services are housed under the same roof, it pays to investigate. Many salon and day spas offer spa packages and online specials for being a client listed in their system. Hair salons are traditionally places women go to in order to escape from reality, and enjoy being pampered. The more you invest in what your salon has to offer to you, the more it will feel like a community, ultimately enhancing your experience. If you are happy with your hair salon, go ahead and take the time to fully register in their system or ask the receptionist what beauty specials they are currently running. Trust me, it’s worth it... and so are you.
For the love hair, and nails, and spa packages,