Old Man Winter will be rearing his unpleasant head soon, which means it's time for you to start prepping your hair for serious protection!
The mixture of cold air and indoor heating in the winter have no benefits to your precious strands. The unforgiving temps knock any trace of moisture out of your hair and leave no dry, brittle strand untouched. Don't be winter weather's latest hair victim! These tips will help combat its harsh effects on your locks:
1. Don't Go Outside With Wet Hair. This should be a given, but lets get serious for a moment; your hair can freeze. That's right! Before you know it, your transition to a human popsicle begins - hair first. This can cause serious damage and breakage to your frosty locks. Take the time to blow-dry! In a hurry? We swear by Kenra's Platinum Blow-Dry Spray. It cuts your blow-dry time in half!
2. Moisturize. Since the temperatures can turn your strands into straw, it is beyond imperative to give them some nourishment. Be sure you are conditioning your hair every time you shower. To be safe, it is best to switch to a shampoo & conditioner designed for dry hair in the winter months, to ensure your hair is properly hydrated. Also try a deep conditioning masque once or twice a week for ultimate moisture. We love Neuma's Moisture Intensive Masque!
3. Hats & Scarves. Wearing hats and scarves while battling the outdoors shield your hair from cold temperatures and wind. If you choose to wear your hair down, make sure your hat covers a majority of your hair. If you opt for a hat that only sits on the upper portion of your head, try bunching your scarf up to cover what your hat doesn't! Also, wearing your hair up will help reduce exposure to the cold temps.
4. Use Moisture-Friendly Styling Tools. Most styling tools fry your hair, leaving it brittle and broken. You can't afford that mess once November rolls around! Luckily, there is hope. Ionic hair dryers and ceramic straighteners help seal the moisture into your hair rather than stripping it. Make the switch in the name of healthy hair! Need some pointers on buying the right blow dryer? We've got you covered with these 5 great tips!
5. Static Control. Hair static is a huge nuisance and problem in the winter months. To avoid the Bride of Frankenstein look, try skipping a day between hair washes. Washing your hair every day strips your hair of its natural oils, which can make it dry and more prone to flyaways. Also - make sure you are conditioning your hair, and try combing instead of brushing. The friction between brush bristles and your strands creates static electricity. Instead, try a wide-toothed comb. Static issues and in a hurry? Rub a dryer sheet on your brush to put the frizzies at bay.
6. Skip Hot Showers. It's 30 degrees out, and you want nothing more than a steaming hot shower in the morning - who wouldn't?! But think twice! Hot water strips your hair of moisture that you can't afford to lose in the winter months. Use lukewarm water on your hair to avoid any moisture loss, and feel free to kick the heat back up a few notches to wash your body! Just be sure to lather on the lotion afterwards.
Don't make this winter more complicated than it can already get! Be sure to give your hair the TLC it so desperately needs. Need more advice? We've got you covered with 8 Cures For Hair Breakage and the best hair products for cold weather. With all of this great information in mind, don't settle for anything less than healthy hair this winter!
For the love of hair,