It’s that feeling you get after you get a haircut and stylist just blows it dry with a little product, a round brush, and a hair dryer. Is it magic? No, it’s the hair dryer and you can get that fresh salon blow out at home with the purchase of the right hair dryer. Here are five important things to consider when shopping for a blow dryer.
1. Cost - A great blow dryer can range from $15 to $250. But more expensive doesn't always mean better. Do your research and make sure it has everything you need for your locks.
2. Wattage - If you have thin–normal hair, 1800 watts will likely be your best bet. For a thicker mane, look for a dryer closer to 2000 watts. Do not go over 2000 watts or you are likely to burn your scalp. Ouch!
3. Attachments - Women with curly hair will appreciate the power of a diffuser. The diffuser circulates the air around the curl instead of being blown straight on it. Diffusers are also helpful in adding lift and volume to straight hair.
There is also the nozzle to help ease frizz for a smooth finish on straight hair. This attachment allows you to concentrate the air flow to a specific area on your head and have more control while you are styling.
4. Extras - Look for a blow dryer with multiple settings and a cool shot that will help seal the cuticle and lock in the style. Think about trying a ceramic dryer if you have thick hair or need to dry in a fraction of the time.
5. Weight - No matter how amazing your blow dryer is, you’re going to be the one doing the lifting. Unless you're looking for an arm workout, choose one that is lightweight.
Using a blow drying product can make the process smoother as well. We are crazy about Kenra's Blow Dry Spray, which majorly cuts drying time. Using a thermal protectant will help you avoid heat damage. Try using Matrix Vavoom Gold Heat Protective Lotion when blow drying, curling, and straightening.
Now that we know what to look for in a blow dryer, what do you use and what do you love about it?
For the love of hair,
Sarah is a new contributor to Jada Beauty and we are thrilled to have her! Be on the look out for more great posts from Sarah.