High-waisted shorts are an on-trend way to add some va-va-voom to your summer style! What could be better than a look that shows off your legs while tucking in your tummy?! This chic style is perfect for a day at the beach, a night on the town, and everything in between (okay, maybe not for brunch with your new boyfriend's mom, but you know what we mean!).
For a daytime look, try a distressed denim pair (an easy DIY!) with a striped tee or tank. This easy style calls for a laid-back 'do. We suggest a product like Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray to give your hair effortless beachy waves. For a sassy nighttime style, wear your high-waisted shorts with a blazer and sky-high sandals. A sleek, high ponytail help keeps you cool in the heat.
For a classic look (an ode to Mad Men, perhaps!), we love pairing these tailored blue shorts with a polka-dot sweater. Top it off with wayfarer shades and an easy updo. Need some hairspiration? Here are some of our favorite updo tips! Bolder girls will love these red and white striped shorts. Put your legs in the spotlight with sky-high wedges and don't forget to tuck in that tank. We love a side-pony to finish the look.
College Fashion wrote an awesome post about making the high-waisted trend work for you. Here are some of their helpful tips and tricks:
- “High Waisted” is relative. To rock this trend, you don’t need to go out and find a pair of shorts that reach above your belly button. If you have a shorter torso (or a larger bust), go for styles that are cut comfortably over your hip bones, but not all the way up to the smallest part of your waist. Because low-cut styles have been popular for so long, even a mid-rise cut will give you the look of the trend!
- Show some leg. To balance out the length of high waisted shorts, I love the look of Nicole Richie’s (pictured below) short-shorts! This will elongate your legs and keep you from looking stumpy, if you’re worried about that sort of thing.
- Consider the top. A tank or simple t-shirt will look chic with high waisted shorts, but pair them with a button-down dress shirt for a Katherine Hepburn aesthetic.
- Try them with swimsuits. High waisted shorts, especially the nautical variety, will look fabulous paired with your favorite bikini for a fun new cover-up. These will look great and make you feel like you’re straight out of a movie filmed at the French Riviera!
- Be confident! It takes a bold girl to rock these babies — hold your head up high and let the world know how great you know you look!
For the love of hair and summer fashion,
Featured image via What She Wears